Finding the best candidate for your job opening can be a daunting task. Whether your staffing needs are short term, long term, or permanent, it is important to have a good staffing company to back you up. A staffing agency partner is essential and can help your company save time and money. But how do you go about choosing one?
There are a number of resources that can assist you in finding the staffing firm that is perfect for you. One of the best guides is found through the staffing industry’s premier organization, the American Staffing Association (ASA). The following are tips they have provided to help you make the best selection:
- Determine the Type of Staffing Help and Staffing Company You Need. You may have a temporary assignment to fill or you may need someone to take on a long term, contract job. Or you could need assistance with a permanent opening. There are many different firms out there, some with different areas of expertise. Narrow your list to those companies that specialize in your industry and type of position needed. For example, there are firms that specialize in administrative/clerical, industrial, technical, and medical.
- Shop around See who is in your area. You may feel more comfortable with a small, local company or you may want to try a large, national firm. Select a few then take a look at their website, ask about fees, get references. It is important to select a company that will take the time to do an on-site visit, meet you & your team face to face, and learn the specifics of the job.
- Evaluate your impressions. How well did they communicate? Did they seem knowledgeable about your industry and if not, did they ask good questions & listen? Were they professional and knowledgeable about recruiting, hiring, and training? A staffing company that is credentialed within their industry speaks volumes. This will clue you in that their staff follows EEOC guidelines and keeps abreast of rules & regulations in hiring.
- Find out how they recruit their workforce Ask for details on their recruiting methods. A company that has been in business a long time tends to have a “deep database.” In today’s world, running an ad on a job board will not produce the results it used to. It is important that the company you select is knowledgeable in the latest recruiting techniques and are visible on social media platforms. A company who knows how to “source candidates” as opposed to waiting for candidates to appear, will be much more effective.
- Ask about Screening & Testing Skills testing is important to determine the right fit. Your firm may have a specific test they want administered. A flexible staffing firm will be willing to do this for you. There may be times when you need customized testing, so it is important to determine if the company has this capability. However, it is not just testing that is important – good interviewing skills & good judgement on the part of the recruiting staff are key. It is important that the company utilizes best hiring practices and is compliant with all laws. Do they conduct background checks & drug tests, and are they using E-Verify? These are good questions to ask.
- Make Sure the Company Understands Your Needs Here again, communication is key. You need a staffing partner that listens & endeavors to understand your needs; a company that responds in a timely manner. There is nothing worse than being in a time crunch and believing the staffing firm has prioritized your job, and then getting no response. A company that continuously puts you to voicemail and does not respond back quickly, is not a company you want to work with.
The bottom line is about building open communication and a good working relationship with the staffing firm. Everyone likes doing business with people they like, trust, and respect. There are many choices out there. Hopefully, these tips will help guide you to choose wisely.